The Monastery of the Blessed Sacrament in the Archdiocese of Detroit was established as an act of thanksgiving to God on the seven hundredth anniversary of the founding, in 1206, of the first monastery of nuns of the Order of Preachers at Prouille in France by St. Dominic.
A life dedicated to the pondering of the Word of God.
Led by Mother Mary Emmanuel Noel, herself one of the four American foundresses, seven nuns left the Monastery of St. Dominic, Newark, New Jersey, on Passion Sunday, 1906, to bring Dominican monastic life to the city of Detroit.
They also brought from the Monastery of Oullins, France, the tradition of Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament as a means of fostering the Dominican contemplative ideal.
In 1966 our Monastery moved to Farmington Hills, a suburb of Detroit. The Monastery is now located on the northwest corner of Middlebelt and Thirteen Mile Roads. The privilege of Perpetual Adoration was re-extended to the community upon our move to our present location. Our public chapel is open daily for our friends who need a quiet place to come away and pray. They are welcome to join us at the celebration of the Eucharist, praying the Office, Rosary, or simply "being" with the Lord.